Monday 17 June 2013

Monster High Monday: Swim Class Venus


Hello! A sunny day today, so I was looking for a bright and cheerful look. This one was sooo tricky though! The application was simple, but finding the correct eye colour was so difficult and in the end I just had to make-do with something as close as I could get. I own a lot of greens, like hundreds, so I never expected to run into trouble colour-matching.
The main problem was that Venus has this bold, intense colour but with no shimmer. 99% of green eyeshadows or at least in my collection are frosty, shimmery or glittery! The majority actually have quite a strong gold sheen to them, so in certain lights this made the colour totally change and look nothing like the doll. The hue itself was also hard to match because my shadows either leaned too green, too lime or too olive/khaki. Venus seems to have a combination of all three. In the end I had swatches all over my hand, my wrist and I'd started moving towards my elbow when I decided I'd spent long enough trying to match!
The lips I thought might be difficult to colour match, but I literally pulled out the first two lipsticks I could think of and their combined shade was spot-on. Funny how that happens.
So starting with my base, I applied BeneFit The POREfessional under Lancome Teint Miracle foundation in 005. I used Dainty Doll concealer in 001 under the eyes (with YSL Touche Eclat in shade 2) and 002 on blemishes. I finished with a light dusting of ELF Studio High Definition Powder in Translucent and applied a little MAC Fleurry blush with Don't Be Shy over the top for a pinky-peachy cheek.
I applied Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion as a base and combined Stila Kiwi with the green shade from MAC's Suedette 6 Intense Eyes Palette. Both do have shimmery finishes, but Kiwi made the MAC one that little bit brighter green and actually slightly toned down the sheen.
It looks very pale in the photo above just because of the light and no-flash, but it was much brighter in person. Venus has this huge flicked liner look, but Monster High eyelashes are usually pretty exaggerated too, so it kinda looks like she has this two-prong liner deal going on (which you can see when she's turned to the side). I decided to emulate that with a two-flick liner approach! I used YSL Waterproof Eye Pencil for the thick line, then Lancome Artliner for the flicks. On my lashes in YSL Baby Doll mascara.
For the lips, she's wearing a purple-pink, almost dusky or mauve toned. So I used Kiss Australia Lip Liner in Cashmere and mixed MAC lipsticks in Purple Rite (Frost) and Naughty Saute (Cremesheen). The latter is bright, bold pink and the former a frosty purple, so they combined to form the perfect colour.
As if I wasn't clashing enough, I decided to wear turquoise and peach today! Yeah...someone didn't think that one through! This look totally grew on me, even halfway through I thought it was going to be a complete disaster but it turned around in the end. Who knew finding an eyeshadow this shade would be so tricky though? Can anyone think of a similar one in their stash?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Wowee your comments cheer me up!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.