Life Lately: Week 1

Post does not contain PR gifted items.  Post contains some affiliate links, marked with * (affiliate links can earn the blog a small commission on purchases made).

Following on from my previous posts, "Life Lately" is my new blog feature (written weekly), basically summarising my week.  It's a mix of everything in my daily life; music, TV, what I've been buying, perfumes I'm wearing, how I'm feeling etc.  As I mentioned last time, it took me a long while to get here, writing posts again, so these blogs are now old(er) news, but as I'd already done the groundwork for a lot of them, I figured I'd start where I intended.  I may catch up somewhat in the beginning, but because of my M.E., I'd like to always remain slightly behind, so I have room for manoeuvre, should I need it.  Hopefully these posts will encompass all the topics I specified I wanted to discuss in that introductory post.  Let's go!    

What I've been doing; I finished this colouring page from a book I got in my Christmas stocking.  I decided to just use one colour on this (Venetian Red 021), which is a bright red-coral.  During lockdown when Irregular Choice were releasing colouring pages each week, I tried a similar thing (here using one colour only) and it's fun as you can play around with a softer touch or heavier hand for light and dark and add in Zentangle type patterns to interrupt the block colour.    

colouring page of sea creatures in Venetian Red crayon

This is the book below and the only other page I've completed so far.

closed Harry Alexander Cute & Cosy Cuddly Days colouring book

pastel colouring page of cute dogs

I did my nails on Thursday, Barry M Gelly Nail Paint in Prickly Pear (they don't seem to do this shade now, but Grape Soda* looks similar) and Dior Vernis 203 Pastel Mint, both with Dior Vernis Opalescent Top Coat 008 Bluemania on top (both Dior were limited releases and no longer available).  I have loved Barry M polishes for decades, but I really struggle with the Gelly ones, as they're so weak and need a lot of effort.  Both base colours applied beautifully to the swatch sticks (even in one coat, though I ended up using two), but my nails were a different story.  The lilac is very sheer, the mint is streaky, sometimes there's barely any colour as it's so patchy and lifts the colour you've just put down.  Actually both were quite bad for that.  After two coats, most nails still looked bad, so it took three and even then, some weren't completely opaque.  It didn't matter if my nail was long or short either.  I painted the index and ring fingers lilac, then my pinkies, thumbs and middle fingers in the mint.  The Dior top coat is lovely, just one coat required and it adds a lovely silvery sheen.

Barry M and 2 Dior nail polish bottles with 2 nail swatch sticks

close up of green shimmery nail swatch stick

close up of lilac shimmery nail swatch stick

What I've been listening to; Go by Blackpink.  I preferred Jump initially but really liking this now.  Also still obsessing over Fatal Trouble by Enhypen (I know it's old), but I've had it on repeat for weeks.  

What I've been watching; ER season 7 mid to end-ish on Netflix.  I actually have most of the DVD box sets of ER, but I don't have anything to play them on (!), so I was quite excited when Netflix got the whole series (rare for me to watch anything non-Korean).  What I really need to do is watch it from the beginning, but I only got really into it when Abby appeared (I actually started on Netflix midway through Season 6, the episode when Carter and Lucy get stabbed).  I don't think I'll watch the whole thing...it lost it's way a bit towards the end, but we'll see.  Run BTS is back on YouTube, whoooooo!  Actually it's not back-back, but my sister and I will take anything after a few years hiatus for the show whilst the boys were doing their mandatory military service (especially after being subjected to Cheat Jin, sorry 'Run Jin').  They need to stress less about doing fancy things for it, just them in a room is entertaining for us!  

What perfumes I've been wearing: Ooh, I felt I picked really well especially at start of week, after doing 'challenges' the past few weeks (even while not blogging, I still couldn't help but set myself themed weeks i.e. all new perfumes or samples or specific notes).  You can see which day I wore what in my previous post (LOTD Week 1), but here's a round-up below.  

flatlay of 9 bottles of daytime fragrances
Daytime fragrance, clockwise from top left: Dolce & Gabbana Q* EDP with YSL Black Opium Over Red* EDP, Versace Dylan Blush Pink* EDP with Kayali Yum Boujee Marshmallow 81* EDP, Lolita Lempicka Lolitaland* EDP, Replica Never Ending Summer* EDT, Anna Sui Fantasia Mermaid EDT, Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Pride Edition (2024)* EDT and Givenchy Organza* EDP.  
flatlay of 4 bedtime fragrances
Bedtime fragrance clockwise from top left; Prada Les Infusion de Amande* EDP, Marc Jacobs Daisy Murakami Green* EDP (twice), Flower Knows Honey Lemon (The Sweetie Bear) EDT and Lolita Lempicka Mon Premier Parfum* (Edition Limitee Flacon Mon Printemps) EDP plus 2 nights without.  
Anna Sui Fantasia Mermaid perfume bottle
I've rediscovered Anna Sui Fantasia Mermaid EDT and I'm in love with it again.  I remember initially not being keen, but it really grew on me and it's been a long time since I've worn it, so expect to see this popping up in the coming weeks.  Isn't the bottle absolutely amazing? Anna Sui have some of my favourite bottles...even the box is stunning.
decorative Anna Sui Fantasia Mermaid perfume box

top of Anna Sui Fantasia Mermaid perfume box with seahorse illustrations

close up of mermaid holding seahorse on top of Anna Sui perfume bottle

detailed sea coral on Anna Sui Fantasia Mermaid perfume bottle
What I bought; I finally got my hands on the Chanel Rouge Coco Flash in 284 Baby Blue, which launched as part of their Denim collection for Spring.  I couldn't buy it at the time, then it sold out and I stalked the site in the hope it would come back and it eventually did.  It leaves an iridescent silvery (cool toned) sheen on the lips.  It's really lovely with a lipliner.  
Chanel beauty package, pouch, samples and lipstick

blue Chanel lipstick and free pouch and samples

close up of shimmering Chanel blue lipstick

What I want to buy; The Instax Mini Evo Hybrid Camera* after briefly seeing it here in this video on YouTube.  Okay consider me influenced after that (actually need to stop watching her, as I want everything she has)! Oh, I want this so bad, the way it prints out the wee photos is so cute (update: I still haven't bought it and still think about it a lot).

What I'm loving; Along with the aforementioned Anna Sui Fantasia Mermaid, it has to be the Allies Of Skin The One SPF 50 Invisible Sunscreen Gel*.  So for years now I've used and loved the YSL Airthin UV Defender, but I can't find it anywhere, so assume it's been discontinued (not having much luck with that type of thing lately).  I'd finally got through my stockpile (always bought 3 or 4 at a time), so I was on the lookout for a new one.  I had a 20ml tube of this in my stash from a gift with purchase (note, you can actually buy this size if you're not willing to splurge on the 50 or 90ml).  I immediately bought the 90ml in the Sephora sale after trying the 20ml once! I loved it that much.  It's got a silicone primer type feel to it, like Lancome La Base or Benefit The Porefessional (assuming they haven't changed-haven't used them in years).  It's so smooth on the skin and once you've applied it, you can't feel a thing, it's so light and non-greasy.  There is a knack to applying it though.  It must be used as the next step in your skincare routine, so after moisturiser.  One time, I'd had a shower so been late doing my routine and did most before lunch, but applied the sunscreen after lunch.  It pilled like crazy, it was awful, it basically just rubbed itself back off my face.  I never, ever had that issue, if I applied it straight after moisturising.  For someone like me that's never out of the house and therefore not reapplying throughout the day, it's fine, but I don't think it would work for you if you did need to reapply. 

Allies Of Skin SPF Sunscreen tube next to box

What's been on your radar lately? See you next week.  

Comments