Friday 13 July 2012

Liebster Award: The Shoe Girl Diaries

Happy Friday peeps!  Oh and it's the 13th too, freaky! I have to admit to having absolutely no motivation this week (it always seems to happen when I have most to do) and I've been a bit sporadic with posting therefore (along with completely neglecting my FB and Tumblr).  Anyhoo, I'm stepping away from the Ben & Jerry's and Cadburys and getting my butt into gear.  Starting with another blog award post!  This time it's the Liebster Award and is actually for The Shoe Girl Diaries.   I'm pleased as punch as it's the first award TSGD has ever been given (!) and as the layout/format of that blog is the way it is, I thought I'd just post my award here and I'll pop the logo in my sidebar on TSGD.  Now, as I mentioned with my last award, it takes me forever to get around to answering and completing all the necessaries of such an award and often it gets left in my drafts.  So in order for that not to happen, I've left it open for anyone who would like to write their own reply or else we'd be here another month until I think up suitable blogs that fit the criteria.  I'm not sure if that makes me a shabby blogger for not completely participating, but do let me know if you tagged yourself for me, if you know what I mean!

Liebster Award - This award was given to me by 'Glampire' Victoria for The Shoe Girl Diaries, thank you.  The Liebster Blog Award is given to upcoming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. The Meaning; Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome.
The Rules
Each person must post 11 things about themselves
Answer the questions the tagger has set for you
Create 11 questions for the people you've tagged to answer
Choose 11 people and link them in your post
Go to their page and tell them
Remember, no tag backs

My 11 Facts
1. I am terrified of stickers and it's getting worse the older I get.  Don't get me wrong I love cute, kawaii stickers and can handle them so long as I'm 'in control' (coming 'at me' with a sticker is sooo not cool, don't even joke about it!).  My biggest hatred is apple stickers, name stickers that you have to wear and could therefore potentially fall off and stick to something else (boke) and the worst are (I'm gagging writing this), when you sometimes find them on clothing (like quality control stickers), those things absolutely freak me out to the point where I could puke or pass-out.  They should not be allowed, what if I accidentally wore that item of clothing without realising? I have and could die thinking about it.  Gaaaahhh!

2. I live off peanut butter and have done since I was a kid.

3. I've never seen an episode of Sex And The City or watched the movies.  That probably makes my fashion credentials drop, but even although my housemates used to watch it, I just couldn't get into it.  I could probably tell you all the outfits they wore though!

4. Another fashion shocker: Most of the time I don't 'get' the Olsen twins, Kate Moss or Alexa Chung.  When did looking like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards become style icon status?  I think if curvier women were to try this they'd be slammed for 'letting themselves go', which further fuels my desire to not like them.

5. I have a Mum and Dad, 2 sisters, sadly only 1 living grandparent (and he has Alzheimer's so doesn't know who I am anymore), 5 Aunties and 4 Uncles, 11 cousins, 3 nephews and a gazillion cousins kids...what are they? Like second or great cousins or 3rd something removed?!

6.  I used to suffer from nose-bleeds, that came on completely randomly and without warning (possibly from being tripped up as a toddler by a man stepping on the back of my sandal, resulting in me falling flat on my face, blood all over the pavement).  When I was 12 my Mum made me get dressed, eat my breakfast and walk to school, all the time it was still bleeding (hard woman!).  It actually got embarrassing when I was in my late teens because my blood would not clot and the nose bleeds lasted longer, usually over 2 hours.  People would make such a fuss but I was unfazed by it by that point and would carry on but they'd send me home from school because I'd 'lost too much blood'! In the end they mysteriously stopped after an appointment at the hospital where they told me next time it happened, they'd cauterize it.  Thankfully the threat of a hot metal rod up my nose was enough for them to stop without it actually happening!!

7. I wear glasses, not spectacles and definitely not 'specs'. 'Specs' is one of my most hated words, I hate it, do not say it!

8. I've never had a 'proper' boyfriend/relationship.  For various reasons really and I am just wary of getting into something before I'm completely sure about it because I want to avoid the complications of getting out of it!  Plus isn't it always the way that you're completely obsessed with them and they don't give a damn or vice-versa? I've been through several of both of those scenarios and it's just never happened where we're both in that same place at the same time.

9.  I once had a stalker, which I can make light of now, but it was scary at the time.  I'm quite possibly the only person that can attract a stalker when I rarely leave the house!  He was my postman and therefore knew where I lived and used that to look up our phone number and would call the house several times each day.  He would ring the doorbell to give me a letter (!), take as long as possible to do anything, come to the door with his trouser zip undone and even hung around outside sometimes.  Although I can look back on it with (almost) humour ( he still works and I sometimes have to see the creep), the subject is something I'm passionate about and don't believe enough is done in these situations before it's too late.

10. While on the topic of weirdos, I used to deliver prescriptions when I worked in a local pharmacy after-school.  It had it's set-backs including one day when I walked into a rather posh house (after knocking and being told to come in-this often happened as the elderly were unable to get up to come to the door), anyway this old guy comes out from a back room with a small towel around his neck and nothing else on.  On purpose obvs!  I remained extremely professional and unflustered because I knew he was looking for a reaction and said "Hello, I'm from Lloyds Pharmacy with your prescription', he said "sure, just put it anywhere".  I put it on a shelf in the hallway and walked out without looking back.  Needless to say my parents were furious and asked that I never go back there as it could be a rather dangerous situation for a 17 year old girl (although the guy was just an exhibitionist I think).  It's all becoming clearer now, why I've not had a relationship right?!!

11. I listen to r&b, hip hop, pop, great cheesy boybands from the late 90's/early 00's and a little rock or metal or whatever you'd call it by way of Evanescence and Within Temptation and find it amusing when a swearing 50 Cent or Eminem blasts out before Dolly Parton 'I Will Always Love You', followed by 5ive, Lionel Richie 'Hello' then The Little Mermaid!  Here's some of the more unusual songs on my mp3 and you've possibly not heard of several!:
Elaine Paige-Memory (from Cats),
Golden Earring-Radar Love,
Billy Idol-Rebel Yell,
Dolly Parton-In The Ghetto,
Chicago-Hard To Say I'm Sorry,
Fatboy Slim-Right Here, Right now,
Music from Home Alone, Speed, Crocodile Dundee (!), Moon River from Breakfast at Tiffany's (Audrey Hepburn version too), Save The Last Dance, Pearl Harbor (the entire score), The Little Mermaid and the theme tune by Marc Anthony and Tina Arena from Zorro!
Fleetwood Mac-Peacekeeper
Johnny Cash-Hurt
The Crystal Method-Keep Hope Alive

Here are the questions which I have been asked to answer:
1. Favourite Disney film?
Without a doubt The Little Mermaid ; )

2. If you could travel anywhere right now where would you go and why?
New York. I haven't been to the US at all, but NY calls to me-I get the feeling I could be very at home there.  It's my dream to end up living and working there, but it's a big, far-off dream.  

3. Favourite book?
I don't read books! I know a lot of people will be shocked by that, but I just don't find time for it or want to really (!)  My teacher rather rudely said it was a "fluke" when I got an A for English.  She's kinda right though, I'm one of those annoying people that never really tried too hard (especially with English) yet still did alright.  I can recall learning the Hamlet quotes the morning before the exam.  It worked though!

4. Pearls or Diamonds?
Oooh, I love me some sparkles, but I do adore pearls, they're my signature.  

5. Do you believe in ghosts?
Yes.  The whole supernatural thing and after-life really intrigues me.  

6. Favourite Johnny Depp movie?
Not a huge JD fan (oooh sorry to his cult fanbase), I guess Edward Scissorhands even although I've only seen it a couple of times.  

7. What are your future plans for your blog and your inspiration behind it?
Well this award was for The Shoe Girl Diaries, I'm pretty sure most of you knew my initial idea was to create a challenge where I wore a different pair of shoes every day without repetitions.  There were so many daily outfit challenges out there and none were footwear-specific, so being a shoeaholic I wanted to address that.  After completing a year of it, the blog evolved into a daily outfit post still with the emphasis on shoes and included background info on each shoe (comfort and fit).  It's got it's own format which aesthetically I'm finally happy with and I plan to continue in that vain.  I guess I go through phases of really enjoying documenting my outfits but there are some days where I get frustrated with editing a ton of pictures of my shoes or face or whatever and wish I didn't have to do it!

8. If you could be a breed of dog which breed do you think would suit your personality.
Not a dog fan either...actually terrified of them!  However I would be a poodle or dalmatian, no idea what either of their personalities are like, but they always look very groomed and polished! And some people dye poodles crazy colours, like bright pink don't they?

9. Dream cocktail? Alcoholic or non-alcoholic.
"I wanna have sex on the beach, come on move your body..." (remember that song? T-Spoon? Before your time?), yeah moving on,  I love SOTB cocktail, although I haven't had it for yonks.  I first had one (of many) on a school exchange to Germany, this place called Mangos made amazing ones and got me hooked...they also had wicker fans on the ceiling that moved mechanically, hot bar staff (!) and toilet roll holders called 'big willy'.  The things I remember!

10.Best gig you ever been to?
Ooh again haven't been for ages, but probably the Spice Girls in 1998 (?) at the SECC just before Geri left.  She looked very sombre, so I guess she had a lot on her mind as she literally left the band a few days later.  We were in the second row and I remember the outfits were pretty amazing.  I was pretty obsessed with the Spicies at the time.  I went to see them again as a 4-piece a couple of years later in Manchester (we were about 6 rows from the front) and it was pretty awesome too although I missed the Ginge Spice!

11. The city or the country?
This is such a difficult one for me, because I can feel at home in both but am not sure I could live entirely in one without the other.  Most people would think I'm more of a city-type person, but at times I love being out in the middle of nowhere, just pretty landscapes and quiet.  I would miss having everything on my doorstep though and I love that buzz of big cities with bustling streets, cars, sirens, tonnes of people, I love that. Ok if pushed, the city!

Tag You're It...
As I said above, anyone who wants to do it...!

My Questions For You
1. Name a song on your ipod/mp3 you'd be embarrassed to share with us!
2. Which 3 beauty items are essential to you?
3. Your all-time favourite pair of shoes (past or present)?
4. Thinking back, what did you want to be when you grew up?
5. At school you were good at______and sucked at______?
6. What's your top 5 movies you've watched over and over?
7. You're having a party and can invite 4 celebrities (living), who are they and why?
8. And the 4 celebs that would never be invited and why?
9. What you wish your parents had named you?
10. Your top possibilities for future baby names?
11. If you had £1000 to splash out on anything you wanted right now, it would be..?

I think my facts and answers always end up way too long, I talk too much!  Enjoy the weekend lovelies x x x

1 comment :

  1. Great facts and answers about you Gemma! Eeeek, you've had some scary things occur! TOTALLY not surprised re the relationship thing! I've only really had 2 proper relationships as I was also really wary!
    And the sticker thing!? I HATE them too, I have a plaster phobia, and I can't stand people putting sticker labels on me, or any other things! You make me feel better saying that!

    I hope you have a lovely day Gemma!

    ReplyDelete

Wowee your comments cheer me up!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.