Wednesday 18 March 2015

Irregular Choice 'Roarsum' Dinosaur Heels

Like I said in my last post, this massive parcel arrived of my Irregular Choice order and what was inside, was so amazing, that I couldn't help but feel very lucky and happy. Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels

In order to get this post up today, I've split the haul into two posts and so the bags (Magic Bunny and King Of The Castle) will follow later in the week, now is the turn of the magnificent (and they truly are) floral Roarsum! Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels box Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels top side Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels front Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur shoe side
I think I've always had a tendency to gravitate towards the uppers that most closely match the theme of the character heel. I liked the pale pink gold heeled bunnies instead of the black, because when I think of bunnies, I think pale colours. Similar story with the lambs. I think that's why I was so confused with the panda release, because I didn't feel any of the materials (bird fabric?) matched the pandas (though I'm more than happy with my Tian Tian now). I thought the dinosaurs were all pretty well thought out though. I initially wanted the dinosaur print Dino, purely because I like the fabric and hadn't bought anything in that print last season. However the moment, I laid eyes on this pair, I knew they were the ones for me. That floral print is one of my favourite ever prints (I have a thing for 'shiny') and although I already own the Lucky Lady boots in the same material, I could never tire of it. The floral connotations may not seem entirely suitable for a dinosaur (especially a T Rex), but these blooms have a dark vibe which is replicated in the tough design.  The finish is like textured alligator skin and the colours with the heel are a perfect match (that was the one thing that put me off the pretty pastels of Dino, not matching the colours in the heel). Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur shoe flat Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels facing Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels back and side Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels close up Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels side and back Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels behind Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels side standing Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur side heel
I honestly didn't expect to fall in love with these as much as I did, but it was love at first sight, when I slid that box open. I can't say I'm much of a dinosaur girl (my little sister is), though I love The Land Before Time and remember watching Denver, The Last Dinosaur ("he's my friend and a whole lot more ching, ching") a lot when I was younger.  They aren't unicorns or mermaids though (nowhere close), so like I say, I was surprised (though it seems to be the way of the statement heel, that the character I like least is my favourite style and vice versa).  Anyway, Roarsum are a massive statement (even without the heel). The straps with buckles make me think of my beloved Bertie Superstar wedges, though make no mistake, Roarsum are bolder and chunkier. They have an inside zip and thankfully all the buckles are adjustable (I went for my usual size, so was hoping I could fiddle with the buckles to get them to fit). I wouldn't size up on these. They are far more generous than previous character heels and I've even got a little extra length at the front. My right foot fitted fine, but the left, I had to adjust some buckles. In the end I played around with both pairs and tightened the top two straps considerably as they were massive on my ankles and across the broadest part of my foot, let out a couple of straps by a notch. The heel is 5 1/2" and the platform just over 2". They didn't feel super high, if I'm honest, though I've only quickly tried them on. Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels zip detail Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels strap detail Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels buckles Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels toe detail
You don't get a painted sole on these, a huge rubber 'tractor' sole instead. The insole is the floral velvet we've seen in a lot of linings lately, but I'm a little disappointed they used the gold metallic fabric for the rest of the inside. It's not as scratchy as some previous fabrics, but I suspect it will irritate the ankle a little with movement, when walking. Any shoe this shape has a tendency to pinch either at the top back or where the zip is, so I'm prepared for these doing the same, but I think a nice soft velvet would've really helped. Plus the metallic frays and I get all OCD when I see little threads sticking out!  I love the addition of the scalloped black fabric up the centre back seam to mirror the spine of a dinosaur (I just wish it would all stick out (perhaps if it had been stiffened), rather than some bits flopping to the side).  It's a really cute design detail anyway.     Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels rubber sole Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heel tip Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels scalloped spine
The heel itself is very heavy and very large (well it is a dinosaur)! His arms stick out from his sides and therefore out of the silhouette of the rest of the shoe. It's impossible to place your feet together without hitting the arms off one another (you can see in one of the earlier images when they're side by side). I'm hoping it isn't too much of an issue when walking, so long as you're aware of it. It all depends on your style of walking though! Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heel close up right Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heel close up side Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heel close up facing Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heel close up left
As you can see, he's got a lot of detail and colours.  Much more than the bunnies or unicorns.  Obviously a scaly, wrinkled dinosaur looks more authentic than a smooth one, so I'm glad they've taken the time to make the mould quite realistic.  His mouth is open and he has a large red tongue (which is raised, not just painted on).  He has beady eyes and his face unfortunately really reminds me of our creepy gym teacher from primary school!  Suitably terrifying!  There's a lot of shading throughout his body, on his muscular arms and I can't help but laugh out loud at a comment I saw on Facebook.  It said it looked like he was wearing a bikini and now that I've seen it, I can't get it out of my head.  Yes, there's definitely green pants going on there!  His spine is concealed (obviously at the back), sheltered by the base of the shoe, so free from breakages or getting caught on anything.  Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels face close up Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels nose top Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels face front detail Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels arm detail Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heel spine
I think the heel mould is more sophisticated (or is that complicated?) than previous styles and there's more colours and shading too, so I can see why they were priced higher than the cats, unicorns, bunnies, panda etc. Not sure I'd put them higher than the musical, mechanical ballerinas, but then there is more 'shoe' here than those shorter shoe-boots.  I suspect I may run into issues of little children chasing my heels when I wear these outside though.  Reminds me of when I was in a shop, in my wheelchair and felt something tickling my toes.  I looked down to find a little boy lying on the floor, playing with my Vivienne Westwood rubber pom-poms!  Too tempting for him to resist!  Here's a little teaser of my full order...I was so excited and loved everything, truly.  I'm hoping to get it up tomorrow if I'm on my game!  What do you think of these Roarsum dinos though?    Irregular Choice floral Roarsum dinosaur heels Magic Bunny and King Of The Castle bags

12 comments :

  1. Brilliant details Gem! I love what you have done with this! They look cool though it's a shame they didn't choose velvet- I agree, they should have been kinder!Can't wait to see you wear them
    THe bunny bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh gosh the bunny bag is so cute with my matching shoes, heaven! Yes velvet would've been a LOT kinder against the skin.

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOD! THEY ARE AMAZING! I'm always in awe of IC shoes, I'm somewhat glad they aren't readily available in Australia because I could tell I'd be spending ALLLLL my money on them! I just adore these though, I love dinosaurs, though I do think he looks rather godzilla-ish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GAWD, I NEED THESE! I think these are my newest #1 want shoes. Just one question: are the arms poseable? I totally had plastic dinosaurs like this as a kid. I was really into dinosaurs as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm over the moon with them, they are fantastic! The arms aren't poseable, you kinda want them to be because the grooves are there at his shoulders, like there is joints, but no.

      Delete
  4. I adore the little dinosaur ridge bit on the heel of the shoe, it's so sweet! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the style of the shoe although personally I'd prefer solid front rather than open and with peep toe but I don't like the dinosaur. For the price he looks too much like a cheap plastic toy and that's kind of off-putting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if the open toe would put some people know, I know the cats weren't as popular for that reason. Haha, my Mum thought it looked very toy-ish too!

      Delete
  6. I love these! The detail is amazing. The unicorn bag is gorgeous, too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really fell in love the moment I saw them, so fantastic.

      Delete

Wowee your comments cheer me up!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.