Monday 24 September 2018

Irregular Choice: My Top 12 Of 2017

selection of Irregular Choice picture shoes boxes from 2017 seasons with heading overlay
I don't think I've ever done a post like this before, but at the start of the year (these photos were taken on a very grey January), I thought it would be fun to put together my favourite Irregular Choice shoes and boots of 2017. I get asked for favourites a lot and I never really have an answer as I find it far too difficult to choose. I've tailored my collection over the years to those I really love and am lucky I can collect anything rather than having to buy specifics, like "black shoes" or "mid heels" etc.  So it's quite hard to pick one over the other, when you collect for passion rather than necessity. There are of course some you like that little bit more and that can be for a variety of reasons, not just aesthetics, but Irregular Choice make such interesting and innovative styles, that it made my job very difficult to select just 12. Actually it began as a Top 10 before I realised that was impossible. Look at it as one a month instead! I haven't included bags and accessories as I was already struggling to whittle it down, but I bought (and loved) a lot of those in 2017 too. I'm going to reveal them in a random order, because rating these 1-12 would've been excruciating for me, although I do kinda have a top 5.
Irregular Choice birdcage floral boot in front of shelves of shoes
September 2017 saw the release of a brand new character heel, the caged bird. The concept is insane. A feathered bird, sitting on a swing in a colourful cage with embellishments all around. You just couldn't make it up! I actually own a couple of decorative birdcages because I love their whimsical shape, so I was really intrigued by these pre-release. The shoes were all beautiful, but whenever I saw the Maya boots (fit review and full review), I was smitten. I did buy the blue Ava's Aviary too, but I always crave character boots and these are spectacular. birdcage and feather bird heeled wedge bootsvelvet ribbon lace up boots
The floral fabric used on the uppers is far more beautiful in the flesh than I imagined and the colour(s) of glitter on the platform is stunning. The thick velvet ribbon laces, although a pain in the butt to lace (thankfully they have a zip, so you don't need to undo them every time, but to begin with you might need to adjust them), are striking and feel super luxurious. Then you have the return of the beautiful layered, embroidered flower (well, multiples) similar to the Rows Garden ankle boots and it's just heavenly. My eye is always drawn to that detail. The heel is pretty bonkers, it unfortunately squeaks like mad when you're walking, so I'm always thankful to be sitting down. The fact it's a bird that squeaks though is pretty appropriate.  These boots would've made it into my top 12, heck my top 5, even without that heel, they are just beautiful. red glitter gold heel Mickey Mouse toe shoes with shoe shelves in background
I can't believe Mickey & Friends was just (May) last year, it feels like a lifetime ago. From the outset I thought my favourite shoe was the Ice Cream Sherbet with Minnie Mouse heel, but when I saw more detailed photos of Oh Boy (fit review and full review), I really fell for them. They are very simple, not unlike other regular styles IC have produced and I think this is why I initially dismissed them. I thought I *might* get them, but wasn't totally sure, I'm so, so glad I did, because I love them. red glitter Disney Mickey Mouse shoes with face on toesgold glitter heel less wedge with red glitter uppers
You know I always champion that heel-less wedge and the red glitter unfortunately never photographs true to colour, but it's the most beautiful shade in real life. I think what I love most though is the weird toe. An applique, multi-dimensional Mickey face complete with big ears and his nose turning into a really exaggerated upturned toe. Looking from above they probably look quite reserved, but turn to the side and it's like "what is she wearing?"! They are fun and a bit silly without going too gimmicky. sequins chevron shoes with rose gold heart cut out heel and pom pom
2017 started with the gorgeous Ruby Envelope celebrating Chinese New Year and then the return of Rosie! You might remember the Irregular Choice and London College Of Fashion collaboration back in 2010, when So Yeon Sarah and Rosanna Gault had their designs made into a very limited collection. Rosanna's designs featured an island platform and chunky, cut-out heart heel and there was a whole new range for 2017. I really had to check and re-check that this just happened last year, because I was convinced I'd had these for much longer.  The one I've selected as my favourite is Rosie Cheeks (fit review and full review). sequins chevron pastel shoes with large fluffy pom pom on toesrose gold metallic cut out heart heeled shoes with shoe room in background
You knew I also got the boot, Rosie With Love, but I've since bought the black glitter heart Ring O Rosie and the monochrome, polka dot Rosie with removable cuff. The floral boots from the original collection will forever be the ones that got away, but you can't have them all! I chose the Rosie Cheeks as my favourite because I loved the pom pom. A little bit of fluff and you've got me. They have a rose gold heel and platform and a chevron sequin upper in muted colours, both of which I thought quite unusual for Irregular Choice. They feel very boudoir-esque and very feminine. mermaid heeled wedge shoe with large flower on front
March was a very good month for new IC's. A classic character heel reinvented, a brand new character and the animal eared, fluffy heels (Cream Puff, Teddy Toes & Kitty Paws, the former two I have).  The latter trio sadly didn't make it into my top. The other two did though and the new character heel that month was a mermaid. I ask for these things in my dreams and Irregular Choice tune in and make them for me. It's a very cool and smooth process that's worked for years!flower corsage on front of shoes with strap and bucklemermaid heeled wedge shoes
Joking aside, I picked Aquata (fit review and full review) in pale blue from the four choices on launch day. There's so, so much detail in this shoe and heel. Unusually it's a proper wedge and the design details continue down both sides and all the way around to the platform at the front. There's really not a millimetre of this shoe that doesn't have something on it. I like the net-like, woven details and the gorgeous, big embroidered corsage. It all feels very thematic and there's something intriguing but quite sad about the actual mermaid. I think it's very well done. pink rainbow shoes with blue perspex bunny heel
The original bunny heel has been revived many times since it's launch in 2013. In 2017, it took on another new form, in a jelly-effect perspex. You know I love my see-through heels, but really, Rainbunny (fit review and full review) were all about the uppers for me. pink shoes with glitter rainbow clouds bows and pom pomssee through blue bunny rabbit heels on shoes
An oil-slick finished pink with embroidered flowers, applique clouds, organza bows, tiny, multi-coloured pom poms and a large glitter rainbow across the toe. They really have to be seen up-close to appreciate all that detail. I think the simplicity and colour choice for the heel perfectly complimented this design. white satin shoes with pearl and glitter wing and feathers detail at heel
A real surprise choice for me and how much I fell for them, was Eros (fit review). I've said it multiple times, but white, satin shoes scream bridal and I really have no need for that in my wardrobe. Most styles had plain wings, it was only Eros and Icarus in the white colourways that came with the glitter wings and I loved the pearl details on Eros, so my choice was made for me.  white satin shoes with pearl bracelet strap ankle strap and featherssilver glitter wings and feathers on back of white satin shoes
The details I adore are the feathers beneath the wings and the pearls. I'm a big pearl fan and IC went crazy for them last year. There's a large heart shape across the front made up of pearls, but the most darling thing was the introduction of the pearl bracelet. A single string of pearls, like a strap, that fastens at both sides at the back and drapes across the foot, below the ankle strap. It's completely removable if you so wish (don't do it!) and I've actually lost count of the amount of styles I've bought with this feature now. One of my absolute favourite photos of last year was when I styled these for Shoesday Tuesday with black fishnets. This is exactly how you take a formal, ethereal looking bridal shoe and give it some sass. There's something about the dumpy, dinky little shape of the court I love too. I think these would make my top 5 of the year. lilac shoe with blue lucite heel
I've been vocal of my love for Tiny Ted and the Pretty Poodle styles that followed (another one snatched from my dreams) and the love continued with the pretty Barnacle Betty. Betty, if you don't know is the beautifully illustrated IC mermaid, who graced soles and boxes many years ago and is also on my massive shoe storage chest. Obviously I adore her, so I snapped these up straight away (followed by the scarf and matching ring). lilac shoes with mermaid and seahorse on tbarblue perspex heeled lilac mermaid shoes
They come in that beautiful pearlised soft lilac, with a blue perspex heel, small pink bow at the back and pearls and flower embellishments on the front. One foot features Betty on the T-bar, the other her seahorse buddy. This style just goes with everything and the heel is so comfortable that I never tire of it. Santa heeled Christmas shoes with glitter and polka dots
For Christmas we were treated to another Santa character heel release. I'd already told myself I didn't need another pair, already owning 3 styles with that heel. Then I saw the preview for Mr & Mrs Clause (fit review and full review) and I was like "there's no way, I'm not getting them"! I really, really find it difficult to pick a favourite out of all my Santa heels, but of my top 12 here, I think they would make my top 5. Mr & Mrs Claus on toe of shoesfather christmas character heeled shoes
The applique Mr & Mrs Claus across the toes have the sweetest faces and I love all the little fur, holly and pom pom trims. The uppers are easily the most decorative of all the Christmas releases in large metallic, polka dots with green glitter scalloped trim. The finishing touch though is the super dazzling lights that flash down the outer side of the shoe when you walk. For once, they are multi-coloured rather than just white and it really is spectacular to see. It's funny, in the summer I was in Debenhams in Dundee for their summer beauty event and had three separate people come up to tell me they remembered me from the Christmas event last November because I'd been wearing these shoes.  I do remember every second person stopping to ask about them and me so desperately wanting to point out the heel and that they flashed too.  My legs were aching from flashing on demand!pink glitter flamingo and palm tree shoes
In June, Irregular Choice teamed up with US stockist Ashbury Skies for an exclusive USA Road Trip collection. Although small, I thought this collection was really strong and loved all four styles. I bought New York and Miami (fit review) and it's the latter that made my top 12. I feel like these are wild and reserved at the same time. Simple t-bar sandals, unusually sleek for IC, but with so much detail and colour and bonkers bits that only IC would do. So, the T-bar is a palm tree, the beaded leaves are multi-dimensional, sticking out from the foot. The base of the tree sits in the sand with the waves across the toe. There's banana print fabric under the toes and a large pink glitter flamingo across the counter incorporating the heel, with "Miami" embroidered. palm tree and beach T bar shoes
Now at this point I knew there was a similar style going to be released in the Muppets line (Original Diva) later in the year and I really swithered with whether or not they were too similar to buy both. I bought Miami anyway and when they arrived, I loved them so much, I knew I'd want OD too. These just pipped OD to make it into my top 12. Also if I had to pick my favourite soles of the season it would be the entire USA Road Trip line. They were absolutely stunning, glossy photographs representing each city, rather than the usual illustrations. pink satin jewelled shoes with marabou feathers and Miss Piggy heel
Speaking of The Muppets collection in October, wow, what a choice of styles. Out of all the Disney collaborations thus far, this was definitely my favourite. It felt old-school, crazy IC with all the feathers and fur and bright colours and animal print. All About Moi (fit review and short review) was my absolute favourite shoe and they might even be my number 1 of all the styles shown here. They encompass just about everything I could hope for in a shoe. They are so unapologetic in their girliness, sickeningly sweet actually and downright glorious. Although the pale pink satin upper blends beautifully with the rest of the shoe, I don't care for it much on it's own, but the trims and details absolutely make this shoe. pink shoes with lilac pearl heart and marabou feather trimfluffy pink satin shoes with Miss Piggy Muppets character heel with different skirts
There's a fabulous heart and arrow on the toe with pearls and marabou feathers, more feathers around the embroidered slogan, ankle strap and that lovely pearl bracelet feature is back. I'm not usually a big lilac fan, but the shade of glitter on the platform and heel is just beautiful and yeah, the Miss Piggy heel is amazing. I've long wished for clothes for character heels, so I was extremely excited to finally get that (shown here with both options; the glitter tulle and pleated shimmer). I think the marabou trim is the bit that makes me most giddy.  It's so prominent when you're wearing them and has twice the impact being around the ankle strap and across the toe.  I adore them.  mint fur glitter wedge shoes with lace and bow detail at heel
Another top 3 pair, would be these Kir Royal (fit review). The cut-out heels launched in September (it was an expensive few months!) and although I also bought the Tatsu boot, this mint pair are my favourite. Mint has been my favourite colour since I was a child and this shade was spot-on, it's beautiful. The uppers are entirely furry, there's the most beautiful lace and bow detail at the back of the shoe and of course the statement heel (in mint glitter!). Add to that the pearl bracelet, double row this time and I'm in my element. mint furry shoes with flower detail and pearl strapsmint green glitter heel shoes with antique lace and bow detail at heel
My only gripe with these is, I wished I'd tried the size down as they are a little roomy in my usual size. I loved them so much, I later bought the black, but the mint will always be my fave. blue glitter ankle boot with macaron doughnut heel and pearl detail
The final pair to make it into my Top 12, are Bee Delicious (fit review and full review), another new concept heel for 2017. I first spied these by accident in the background of a photo on Instagram and was desperate to see them up-close. I could just make out a furry heart, lots of glitter and some sort of interesting heel. blue glitter ankle boots with furry heart and pearl detailmacaron cake heeled ankle boots in blue glitter with pearl detail
Again, they just had lots of elements I like. Tonnes of pearls and the stacked doughnuts, macaron and cake look delicious. This is the only style to make it into my top, with the new rubber sole. I was a bit unsure at first, but once you've worn them you see how comfortable and non-slip they are and it really appealed to me after that.

As for linings this year, we got the utterly adorable cat half insole.  I've said before, but I love this, it's so, so pretty.  The accompanying lilac heart lining was really soft and lovely too.  The cat and lamb box was absolutely adorable, as was the striped bunny box.  My sister is crazy about the bunnies, so that's her favourite ever sole/box design.  The winking cat was beautiful as a sole design and as I said the USA pairs were favourites of mine too.  The Muppets also featured the half insole concept and both Disney releases that year had lovely sole designs.  What do you think of my choices, what were your favourites from 2017?  Would you like to see more 'random' posts like this in the future?

11 comments :

  1. I love all of your choices Gemma! It would be fan if you did an accessories list as well but I totally get how difficult it would be to choose!! I love hearing what you think :)

    Your list reminds me of some fantastic shoes whichI couldn't get because IC produced some my faves heels only up to a 41. So I missed out on a few I really wanted. Gutted. I sooo loved those blue Bee Delicious and Aquata. Luckily the Kir Royale, the Rosie range and Maya fitted in 41s - so not all was lost! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh ok, might have a think about that.

      The last couple of seasons have been quite bad for stopping at a 41 in these new styles, which would really upset me too.

      Delete
  2. I loved this! What a great post!! I would love to see more posts like this! You could do posts like 'A rainbow of heels', a favourite in each colour, favourite animals, favourites featuring hearts or something of that ilk! I do love the bunny heels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh all great ideas Kezzie, I like the idea of a rainbow one, that's something different.

      Delete
  3. Great post. I felt waves of happiness scrolling and reading through your top picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I laid them all, I was like "wow, what fun, happy shoes these all are". Lots of colours and fun materials and themes.

      Delete
  4. FINALLY! I just read your
    "M.E. On: Giving Up Blogging & Where Do I Go From Here?"
    from this May 1st.
    I had been so sick and busy...but I still kept checking your blog every now and then anytime that I had a tiny chance so just you know!
    many times if not the most I don't leave comment because I feel like I don't want to put you into more work also I often take days to finish reading a post and I find it disrespectful to comment until I finish reading whole. plus, I have same kind of problem as you that caring too much of what to say and all those social things since I'm pretty out of social even though I have people to meet during my job. (like if I count it as social anyway)
    but every now and then I feel like I need to comment because I really want you to know how much I do and always did appreciate your blog and it's the only one I've been reading since years ago and I pretty much been reading since the beginning of your blog, just hadn't commented and it's just to not be annoying and bothering, also I'm really complex about my English. I always try making time for learning it but I just don't have much time or energy to...
    anyway, I originally hate reading but when I read you I always actually read every single words (or really try since I feel dizzy and foggy brain many times, so I usually mark where I'm reading with highlight) and it's obviously not torture at all cause as you've heard from other says, your posts feels more like you having conversation then you just writing.
    also I really agree with your opinion about people with SNS nowadays.
    that they don't really care about reading blog post but just short murmur kind of things with one iconic picture or whatever...
    but my case is, many times I don't have internet due to my life issues and even when I do I either have no enough time or energy, but as soon as I open my pc, one of thing I do first about from cleaning up my email inbox filled with subscription, I type theshoegirldiaries.blogspot.com or pinkhairedprincess.blogspot.com and instagram.com/the_shoe_girl_diaries .
    and I'm always happy to see and thing new from you although it may be the only thing that I'm able to do for that moment. (just to open those pages and check if there's anything from you) but I could look forward to read at least.
    I feel always guilty that I just couldn't compress and make my word simpler and much shorter, therefore I leave comment much less often than I actually would...but
    I really don't want you to think that it's waste of time for you to post or do anything, there's me and more people who cares and appreciate your work.
    and apart from worrying to annoy and bother you or my word doesn't come out right or there's gonna be any bad confusion specially since I'm not good at English, also I know I'll feel sad if you don't get chance to read me and all that.
    I don't even feel comfortable post a comment that not related to this post right now...
    but in the end, rather regret by doing than not doing, and I want you to know there's people who actually cares about you and what you have to say and show and express.
    and I always wish you the best and words are never enough.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried commenting on instagram but it didn't work for some reason : (
      maybe too long or maybe something about my pc security setting...

      Delete
    2. I love hearing from you. I also know how difficult it is for you to read such long posts and write a reply in another language and yet you always do so and manage it so well. You always have something interesting to say. Honestly, comment as much or as little as you like. It sometimes takes me a while to respond, but I always, always read them.

      Delete
  5. Hi I love these kit royals if you ever would like to rehome them, I have the most loving ic home xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry they are a pair I'd never sell, love them to bit.

      Delete

Wowee your comments cheer me up!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.