Saturday 6 March 2010

The Complete Guide To My New Hair!

I've totally neglected you this week and have never really had the chance to properly show you my new hair. I didn't have time to resize all the photos, so I put together this little montage from the past few days. Now onto the details; I was expecting to see in the mixing bowl practically the same shade I wanted my hair to turn out. I was so wrong. Normally the dye is a dark magenta and you know it comes out a little brighter and lighter, so I thought if I got the colour to a medium-light shade of pink, it would turn out pastel. However, I started with one blob of Atomic Pink and began mixing in the toner (which is bright lilac, but see-through-ish), I added almost the entire bottle of toner and the colour hardly changed...it was a bright purpley pink. I had a minor panic that I would be Purple Haired Princess, nothing wrong with that, it's just not what I intended.
However once we started applying the colour it was clear to see it was a lot more sheer than normal, start panic number 2-that the pink would simply wash-out immediately after application! My hair is so much shorter now that whilst in the shower, I was struggling to check if it was still pink. It was, but I'm not entirely pleased with it. Due to the fact that there is only one little blob of colour over my entire head, it looks like it'll wash out within a couple of weeks. I also have a yellowish tinge to parts and the mixture hasn't covered as well as it normally does. However that's clearly because it isn't actual coloured hair dye, but mostly toner/mixer which isn't going to give that all over depth of colour that I usually see. I'm over the moon with the shade. At first I was a little hesitant because it's been so long since I've had hair this light, but I love the soft, pastel color and it maybe suits my fair skin better, I don't know.

As for the cut, I really like it. My Mummy did good! I can style it so many different ways and it can really look quite short-as you can see in some of the pics. I've mostly been wearing it curly and volumised, which is what I suit best. So will I keep it? Well I'm keen to try other options to achieve this shade, perhaps using a white dye instead of toner for more coverage? Or maybe with continued colouration over time, the colour will stick better and the bleached parts won't shine through? I have tonnes of Atomic Pink left and I'm liking the colour, I just need it to fully cover what's underneath. I'm not sure if Special Effects make a white shade, I'll have to check. Other than that, I suppose I could try Cupcake Pink again...although it had a similar outcome when I tried it a few years back. The blonde shone through almost immediately after colouring. So, what do you think? Any suggestions on how to get this shade that lasts and do you like the lighter pink?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Wowee your comments cheer me up!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.